Location: Partridge Green & Steyning, West Sussex. This role will include a minimum of 4 days working in the office, hands on with product and developing the careers and capabilities of engineering and technical team members across the business.
Hours: 38.75 hours per week (8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday)
Salary: Generous depending on experience + significant bonus based on company-wide performance.
Team: This role is a member of the senior leadership team of the business, with specific responsibility for the Engineering Team.
Reports to: Co-Founder in charge of product.
Travel Commitments: There will be the opportunity to work across the business supporting our teams across Sussex, Boulder Co., and Dresden, Germany. You would also attend cycling events and visit suppliers around the world. The role would commonly include two 1 week international trips per year and some domestic travel for a few days approx. 3-4 times per year.
About the role
This role provides the opportunity to develop great careers for your engineering team and develop your career leading engineering innovation across the company. You will be empowered to develop your own technical excellence plan for the whole business including for several exciting industry leading cycling brands including Hunt Bike Wheels, Privateer MTBs and e-MTBs, and Cairn adventure and transport bikes. You will have a close working relationship with the founders and the management board.
- This leadership role will be focused on understanding the technical engineering needs of our riders, both now and in the future. Working with the board and senior leaders you will build a long term plan to ensure The Rider Firm continues to serve riders’ needs with the best available cycling products.
- Developing the Rider Firm engineering team – creating a nurturing environment in which to build a world class engineering career, building technical and wider professional skills including supporting engineers on the path to chartership.
- You will be leading teams carrying out and initiating engineering projects, guiding them on product design and testing. We use technologies such as CFD, wind tunnel testing, stress analysis (FEA), computer aided design (CAD) and carbon fibre layup technology to develop products with excellent mechanical performance and where relevant; aerodynamic properties.
- You will lead, develop and grow our team of engineers working across product development engineering, testing, project management, safety, and quality assurance.
- Business process management delivering excellent products to riders and supporting the development of the business.
- Understand the wider business and communicate the engineering team’s vision, challenges, and achievements across the wider business.
- Leading development of analysis and decision-making capability and processes within the product engineering and technical teams. Supporting the teams to make the best decisions for riders and create insights to further improve our products.
- Overall responsibility for product safety and quality across all brands. Reviewing and developing processes and capability within the business to ensure we continue to meet riders needs now and are prepared to support future growth and development.
- Develop the team to contribute towards critical commercial analysis of projects, investments, and product development decisions to ensure we spend rider’s money respectfully.
Principal Working Relations:
External: Larger customers such as bike brands, media and journalists, external engineering consultants, race teams, suppliers (mostly in the far east and several in Europe).
Internal: The board of directors, the product engineering team, product managers, technical and warranty, marketing, and sales.
- The minimum qualification for the role would be a 2:1 degree in a mainstream engineering discipline or equivalent qualification supplemented with relevant experience. Candidates should have several years of post-qualification experience. Your experience would ideally include having responsibility for multiple parallel projects and include engineering-based consumer product or other customer-focused companies.
- Candidates will require an understanding of materials technology in the fields of light metals and/or composites. Experience of a manufacturing environment would be advantageous. This experience need not necessarily have been gained in the cycle industry and cycling industry experience is not a requirement for the job.
- You should have experience of developing teams and the careers of professional engineers.
- The successful candidate will be able to show a track record of delivering product development or engineering projects to completion within budget and timescale constraints.
- The Rider Firm is a fast growing, entrepreneurial, and highly innovative group of businesses; commercial decision making will be an essential part of this role and should be exhibited in the application and selection process.
- Candidates should be able to show an understanding of how engineering can be at the centre of strategic decisions.
- As a direct-to-market business after sales and customer care are key principles in The Rider Firm. Experience in an environment with a strong focus on retail customers or experience of a customer facing role will be beneficial.
- The right candidate should have excellent people development skills and demonstrable leadership abilities.
- You should be able to show experience communicating strategic and technical priorities across a wider business team.
Please email your CV to email@example.com